Start your data integration efforts with profiling your data. By doing data profiling early, you reduce the issues in testing and build end-user engagement and support.
Qvikly makes generating a data profile report and uncovering data relationships easy. Use these reports with the data experts to determine what are the rules required for loading the data into your data warehouse.Read more on our blog >
What is Data Profiling?
Data profiling helps you understand your data. It causes you to ask questions that will need to be answered.
- What are required fields and which can contain blanks? Ex. Having a customer record with a blank name and email can be useless in a marketing context.
- Is my data clean? Ex. You might have zip codes in a city field.
- How do I map similar data? "CA" and "Ca" mean the same thing. So might "Active" and "A", or "A" might mean archived.
- Which fields contain repeating values? Are all the values in some master dataset? Are there additional values that can't be linked?
- Do certain values have special meaning? DOB of 1/1/1900 may have been used by the onboarding group to mean the user didn't want to give their DOB, while 1/1/1920 may mean the data was brought in from another system where DOB wasn't being captured.